“How heavy is a glass of water?”
From 10 ounces up to 2 pounds.
“The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long you hold it.”
Hold it for a minute and the whole thing seems futile. Hold it for an hour, with an ache in the arm. Hold it for a day? Call an ambulance.
In each case, it’s the same weight. The longer we hold it, the heavier it becomes.
This is the pathway to stress management. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won’t be able to move.
So it is for the glass of water. Put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. After a rest, we can carry on (with the burden).
Before you begin your day, put the burden of work down. Don’t carry it to breakfast.
You can pick it up later in the morning. Whatever burdens you are carrying now, set them down for just a moment.
Don’t pick it up again until after you have rested a short while.
Here are some great ways of dealing with the burdens of life:
- Keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
- Always wear stuff that will make you look good.
- Drive carefully. Cars are not the only things that can be “recalled” by their maker.
- If you can not be kind, at least have the manners to be vague.
- If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it!
- It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to be kind to others.
- Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won’t have a leg to stand on.
- Nobody cares if you can not dance well! Just get up and dance!
- Sometimes, it is the ‘second’ mouse gets the cheese.
- Watch out when everything is coming your way. You may be in the wrong lane.
- Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
- You may be only one person in the world, but you may be the world to one person.
- Check out your crayons! Some are sharp. Some are pretty. Some are dull. Some have weird names. All are different colors. And they manage to all stay in the same box.
- A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
Have an awesome day.
Copyright © 1960-2015 Lawrence J. J. Leonard All rights reserved.