by Lawrence J. J. Leonard
Where does ‘X’ get its charisma?
From its mysterious nature,
film industry spookiness, or
the mathematical power of the Sumerians?
We experience the X or “it” as personal magnetism or
natural magnetic force or
On the other hand, Jock Ewing, the storied billionaire from the TV drama Dallas pointedly told his youngest son, Bobby, the following adage:
“Real power you take.”
What we know with true clarity is that our very interesting “X” is a power broker.
It takes no issue with expression itself. It only expresses the value we assign it.
For your consideration, I have listed here some
values of X
which are popular Earth words and phrases:
- 2 X 4 (lumber – a stud measuring 2-inches high, 4-inches wide, 6-feet long)
- 4 X 4 (truck with four-wheel drive)
- 5 X 5 (best possible signal-to-noise ratio)
- A sub-X — Ax (sorry, so subscript key)
- As X approaches Zero — X ->0
- Bell X-1 Transonic Rocket Plane
- Cosmic x-rays
- Cygnus X
- Exed out / crossed out
- Heard it on the X
- Letter X
- Madame X (1929 film)
- Malcolm X
- Merry Xmas!
- MXC (Roman numeral 1090)
- “My Ex”
- Os X
- Racer X (a la Speed Racer cartoon – btw Speed’s brother)
- Rx (prescription)
- RxR (railroad tracks)
- Sign with your ‘X’
- Solve for x
- Space X
- Team Xtina (a la The Voice TV show)
- The coefficient of X is α — αX
- The man from Planet X (1951 film)
- The man with the X-Ray eyes (1963 film)
- The X-Files
- Woman X (2002 film)
- X (the band)
- X Factor
- X Games
- X marks the spot
- X O X (kiss – hug – kiss)
- X.org (open source implementation of X Window System)
- X = Y
- Xbox 360
- XGEN Radio
- X-ray or CAT scan?
- Xs and Os (American football)
- X-squared — X2 (sorry, no superscript key)
- XX (cerveza)
- XX XY and also XXY and XYY (chromosomes)
- XXX (moonshine – corn squeezins)
Next, I expect that I will express these sentiments to y’all in another form.
Flex before you exit!
Copyright © 1960-2015 Lawrence J. J. Leonard All rights reserved